In the Aftermath of Hurricane Ian, has your settlement exceeded the 90-day threshold?
Klotzman Property Damage is Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week to Help in Your Time of Crisis.

Does Your Homeowner’s Policy Cover Burglary and Theft?

If your home has ever been burglarized, then you know how terrible the feeling can be. Knowing that a stranger was inside your home, touching your personal belongings can be traumatizing. At the same time, if this person stole your property, there’s a good chance it will be covered by insurance. Most people don’t realize it, but homeowner’s insurance often covers things like theft and burglary.

If someone breaks into your home and steals your prized possessions, contact our office. Our property damage lawyers can help you file your theft insurance claim in Ft. Lauderdale. And, if your claim is denied, they will help you take whatever action is necessary to get the compensation you so rightly deserve.

Here, we will talk about whether your homeowner’s policy covers losses suffered as the result of a break-in or theft. We will also explain what types of theft are covered as opposed to those that are not. If you still have questions or concerns, contact our skilled property damage attorneys in Ft. Lauderdale. They will help sort out your claim and get the process moving in the right direction.

Does Your Policy Cover Thefts That Occur Outside of the Home?

One question a lot of our clients have is whether thefts that occur outside of the home are covered by their insurance. Believe it or not, they are. Of course, it depends on the circumstances of the theft. For example, if you’re on vacation and somebody steals your jewelry or personal belongings, you can file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance. The same is true if your child is away at camp or lives in a college dorm and is robbed. Most policies will cover these thefts as well.

There are other times when a theft outside the house is not covered. If, for example, you’re at the local park and your watch is stolen, your claim has a 50/50 chance of being approved. The same is true if you’re in a private residence or building. You may have to file a claim against the property owner’s insurance policy instead.

There Are Several Types of Theft That Are Not Covered by Most Policies

If you read your policy carefully, you’ll likely find that many instances of theft or burglary are not covered. For example, if the person who robs your home lives there, you can’t expect to be covered. The same is true if you can’t prove that you owned a certain item. It would be foolish to think that you can report a theft of a $2,000 watch without submitting some kind of proof that you owned a $2,000 watch in the first place.

A broken window from a burglary

The other big theft exception is if the property was stolen from your home while it stood vacant. If you aren’t living in the residence at the time of the theft, your insurance company will not pay your claim. Most insurance companies consider your absence of more than 60 days as being long enough to consider the home vacant. You will also not be paid if you wait more than 60 days to file a report of theft.

Your Florida Property Damage Lawyer Can Help Determine Your Policy’s Sub-Limits

Sometimes, you may learn that theft is covered, but that you won’t receive as much as you thought you would. The way homeowner’s insurance works is that there are sub-limits assigned to certain categories of loss. For example, if you report that someone has stolen cash from you, the most you will receive is about $200. The same is true for jewelry. You cannot receive payment of more than $1,500 if you report a loss of jewelry, watches, or fancy clothing.

If you are robbed and they steal a lot of high-ticket items, you should call a property damage attorney in Ft. Lauderdale immediately. They will take a look at your policy and let you know what your limits are. This way, you don’t go out and spend thousands of dollars on a replacement item only to find out that you will only get $1,500.

Your Florida property damage lawyer can also help you decide where you want to increase your sub-limits in the future. If you’re the kind of person who likes expensive watches, you can always buy supplemental insurance in case someone steals your watches down the road.

If the Insurance Adjuster is Giving You a Hard Time, Contact a Property Damage Attorney in Ft. Lauderdale

When you first purchase your homeowner’s insurance, you don’t think you’ll ever need it. It’s just something you have to buy. When the time comes that you do need to file a claim, you expect your claim to be paid. It’s not as if you’re the kind of person who would file a false claim. Nor do you file a claim when every little thing in the house goes wrong.

When the insurance company gives you a hard time, it’s normal to feel frustrated and angry. This is when it’s time to call our office and speak to one of our property damage attorneys in Ft. Lauderdale. They can review your claim along with your policy to find out if it should have been approved. If they think your claim is valid, they will help you file an appeal.

If the insurance company still refuses to pay, they will file suit on your behalf. Now, if they can clearly see that your policy excludes the damage caused to your home, they will let you know. We don’t like to get a client’s hopes up if there’s no chance that their claim will be paid.

We suggest you call our office so you can schedule your free, initial consultation. This gives you a chance to sit down with a legal professional who knows the laws in Florida. They will give you an honest assessment of your claim and help you decide how best to proceed.

Read More Related Articles